Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q434: I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it to the police?

    Some animals are not included in the definition of animal given in the legislation, so you are not required to report accidents with them to the police. However, it may still be worth contacting the police to inform them of the incident. Additionally, the local authority will need to be contacted to remove the remains of the animal.

    See the website in related information to find your local authority.

    A dog (as well as a goat, horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep and pig) does come within the remit of the legislation and is a reportable accident, so you are required by law to report it to the police.

    Important: Badgers are specially protected and it is an offence to possess one, dead or alive, (without the proper authority), so if you kill one, leave it at the roadside. If you are concerned, as stated above, you can voluntarily contact the police.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites