Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q428: What happens if the other driver from an accident has no insurance?

    You should contact your insurance company who will make the necessary enquiries in the first instance. Once the enquiries have been completed and they are satisfied that the person does not have insurance, they may advise you to report the matter to the police who may be able to trace the other person.

    It would be helpful if you could supply the registration number, make and model of the vehicle and the name and address of the other person if you were given it at the scene. If the person is traced they may be prosecuted for any relevant road traffic offence(s) but this will depend on the circumstances and available evidence.

    You can also take out civil proceedings against the other driver in order to try and reclaim the cost of any damage to your car. If you have legal protection as part of your cover your insurance company will be able to advise you on this matter.

    Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB)

    If you are involved in an accident with a driver who is not insured or who leaves the scene (fails to stop), you may still be able to claim compensation through the MIB. They compensate for death, physical injury or property damage suffered by victims of negligent uninsured or untraced drivers. However, claims must be brought within 3 years otherwise no compensation will generally be payable. You can contact the MIB via their website: Motor Insurance Bureau


    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites