Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q426: I have been in a road traffic accident, nobody was injured but the other party did not stop, do I need to report it to the police?

    You may wish to check out question 894 which explains what a driver must do if they are involved in an accident.


    You must comply with these provisions or you may face prosecution. Even if you were not at the wheel of your vehicle at the time, you may still be deemed to be the driver in legal terms. If you are in any doubt about what to do, we would suggest you report the matter to your local police, in accordance with the above provisions and let them make the decision.


    If you managed to make a note of the registration of the offending vehicle the police will make enquiries to trace and speak to the driver. The process of tracing and speaking to the driver of the other vehicle can take some time.


    If you did not manage to note down the registration of the vehicle then you can still report the accident to the police but unfortunately there are no further enquiries that can be made. However, if the vehicle had an identifying mark on it, a company logo for example, then it may be that the vehicle driver can be traced.

    The police will aim to prosecute in most cases where there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction but each case is judged on its own merits. However, please be aware that some police forces may not take action in relation to very minor damage or accidents on supermarket car parks etc. In such circumstances it will be a matter for your insurance company to resolve the matter.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites