Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q422: I am going to buy a car at an auction, can I drive it home and then take out insurance?

    No, before you drive any motor vehicle on a public road you must have valid insurance. Many providers offer temporary or short-term car insurance which would cover you for circumstances such as this.
    You must not drive a motor vehicle until you have insurance.

    If you drive an uninsured vehicle on the road you could be prosecuted and your vehicle could be seized.

    Money Supermarket provides further information on short term car insurance.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites