Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q417: I have a foreign non-EU driving licence, how long can I drive on it in this country?


    Ordinary licences:
    While your full licence or driving permit is valid, you can drive vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes, and with up to eight passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date you came to Great Britain.

    Vocational licences:
    If you hold a vocational licence, you can only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside Great Britain and which you have driven into Great Britain.


    Ordinary licences:
    While your full licence is valid, you can drive any type of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you started living in Great Britain. To continue to drive after this you must pass a GB driving test before the 12 month period ends. If you get a GB provisional licence during this period, you will not have to display 'L' plates or be supervised by a qualified driver, and you will be able to drive on motorways. If you do not pass a test within the 12 month period, you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and the conditions of a GB provisional licence will apply. If you do not apply for a provisional licence within 12 months, you must stop driving and get a GB provisional licence by filling in an 'Application for a driving licence '(D1) (see section 9 of this booklet for details of how to get our forms and leaflets). The conditions of GB provisional licences will then apply.

    Vocational licences:
    You cannot drive large vehicles until you have passed the relevant GB driving test. You must pass a car driving test before applying for provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles as a learner.

    If you continue to drive after the periods stated above you will be committing an offence and your vehicle could be seized.

    The following questions may also be of use:

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites