Q397: Can I carry a passenger on my motorbike and is there an age limit on being a pillion passenger?
In order to carry a passenger on a motorcycle:
- the rider must have a full licence for that class of motor cycle;
- a motor bike must be equipped with suitable supports or rests for the feet of the pillion passenger;
- pillion passengers must be capable of sitting astride a proper seat securely fixed to the motorcycle and be able to hold on effectively;
- a pillion passenger must wear a suitably constructed safety helmet;
- and the decision to carry a passenger remains with the rider, who is legally responsible for ensuring that the passenger is safely supported.
Although there is currently no minimum legal age for a person to ride pillion, it is strongly advised that they have parental consent, wear a properly fitting and specially designed helmet, are able to reach the footrests and are able to hold on properly.