Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q383: I have been the victim of road rage what will the police do?

    There is no such specific offence as road rage, it is a term that has been used to describe various incidents involving motor vehicles, their drivers and other road users. Road rage has been used to describe minor incidents from a gesticulating driver and a driver shouting obscenities to incidents where drivers have been assaulted or their cars damaged by other drivers or pedestrians.

    Minor mistakes such as pulling out in front of you or pushing into a queue are minor faults that admittedly are very annoying but are something that most of us do from time to time and by retaliating you will only make matters worse.

    If you have been the victim of a more serious incident where serious threats or damage have been made to you or your car then you need to report the incident to your local police force. It is important to have as much information about the offending person and/or the vehicle involved.

    If you are involved in one of the more serious incidents and the incident is ongoing and you are in fear for your safety then call 999.

    Please be aware that the police may not be able to bring a prosecution against the offender as unfortunately the Crown Prosecution Service do not bring prosecutions for road rage type incidents without supporting evidence, such as an independent witness.

    For more information please see the websites in related information. There is a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a YouTube video guide to the website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101