Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q355: Can quad bikes be used on the road?

    Most quad bikes are only designed for off road use. They do not conform to regulations in relation to tyres, lights, horn, speedometer etc. and it is therefore illegal to use them on a road.

    However, there are some road legal quad bikes and in order to be used legally on the road they must registered with the DVLA, taxed, insured and have an MOT. They must also comply with all the stringent constructions and lighting requirements. A local quad bike dealer should be able to help you if you want to know whether your quad bike is road legal or alternatively contact the Department for Transport at,

    The Department for Transport
    Vehicle Standards and Engineering 4
    Great Minster House
    76 Marsham Street
    SW1P 4DR

    Public Enquiry Telephone Number: 0207 944 3000
    Fax Number: 0207 676 2166
    E-mail: rvsl .dot@gtnet

    You could also contact Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) for assistance. DVSA replaced the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA ) in April 2014:

    You must be at least 17 years old to ride a road legal quad bike (if they do not exceed 3.5 tonnes).

    All terrain vehicles (Quad Bikes) can fall within categories B and B1. If the vehicle has 3 or 4 wheels and weighs more than 550kgs unladen it will fall within category B. Vehicles which weigh less than 550kgs unladen will fall within category B1. There is no legal requirement to wear a helmet but from a safety aspect it is always advisable to wear a proper helmet. A quad bike that is to be used on the road must display registration plates to the front and rear.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites