Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q346: Ages - when are you old enough?

    5 years old

    • must attend school or home education

    7 years old

    • can have a savings account with a bank or building society

    10 years old

    • can be held criminally responsible and convicted of a criminal offence

    12 years old

    • can see a film certified by the British Board of Film Classification as a 12A, in a cinema, unaccompanied

    13 years old

    • can get a job (if there is a local by-law allowing it) (can only work for a certain amount of hours)

    14 years old

    • is responsible for wearing their own seatbelt
    • can ride an electrically assisted pedal cycle

    15 years old

    • can see a film certified 15 by the British Board of Film Classification at a cinema

    16 years old

    • can get married with one parents consent
    • can have a child's current account (some banks may let you do so from age 11)
    • can consent to all sexual activity
    • can leave school on the last Friday in June if you'll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays. However you must then do one of the following until you are 18:
      • stay in full time education, for example at a college
      • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
      • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training
    • can join armed forces with parental consent (but not permitted into war zone)
    • can work full time (on leaving school)
    • can claim social security benefits
    • can get a licence to drive a moped
    • can buy a pet
    • can choose your own doctor
    • can consent to surgical, medical or dental treatment.
    • can buy premium bonds
    • can open an Individual Savings Account (ISA)
    • can drink beer, cider or wine with a meal in a restaurant if accompanied by a person over 18
    • can play the National Lottery
    • can change your name
    • if receiving Disability Living Allowance at a higher rate, can obtain provisional category B entitlement on a driving licence

    17 years old

    • can obtain a licence to drive vehicles (except certain heavy goods vehicles)
    • can be a street trader
    • can give blood

    18 years old

    • can buy alcohol
    • can obtain a licence to sell alcohol
    • can drink alcohol in a pub
    • can buy tobacco/cigarettes
    • can appear before an adult court
    • can make a will
    • can buy an air rifle
    • can act as an executor of a will
    • can bet
    • can get married without parents' consent
    • can buy a lighter refill
    • can sit on a jury
    • can vote
    • can stand as a candidate in an election
    • leave home without parent or guardian's consent
    • can buy fireworks
    • can sue and be sued
    • can see a film certified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification at a cinema
    • can hold a mortgage
    • can buy land/ houses
    • can go to war
    • can go abroad to perform professionally
    • can get a tattoo

    21 years old

    • can drive any vehicle (providing relevant tests passed)
    • can adopt a child

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question