Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q26: I want to do some building work on my house and there are bats in the roof, what do I have to do?

    As a European Protected Species (EPS ), there are strict regulations with regards to bat conservation that you need to be aware of prior to starting any project of this nature. In England, a government agency called Natural England offer advice on such matters and may arrange a visit your home to offer you the necessary help. Their advice may be to wait until the bats have left for the autumn to carry out your work, or to suggest the use of bat boxes to re-home the bats.

    In Wales, the Welsh Government is responsible for monitoring any disturbance of bats and, like Natural England, they are able to grant a licence for work to be carried out in certain circumstances. You must not go ahead and carry out the work without first consulting the appropriate authority as you will be committing a criminal offence and could be liable for a large fine or custodial sentence.

    For more detailed advice on this subject please contact the Bat Conservation Trust, linked in the related information section.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites