Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q25: I want to demolish a barn on my land and there are bats living there, what do I have to do?

    There are strict regulations with regards to bat conservation that you need to be aware of prior to starting any project of this nature. In England, Natural England can grant what is known as a European Protected Species (EPS) Licence, this will allow you to carry out the work subject to certain conditions. In Wales the issuing authority is the Welsh Government (links can be found in 'Related Information'). However, in order to obtain the licence you will need to gain the services of an Environmental Consultant who will help you to plan what will happen to the bats. Bats are a protected species and the licence will not be granted if there is no proposal included for re-homing the bats. For more detailed advice on this subject please contact;

    Bat Conservation Trust
    5th floor,
    Quadrant House,
    250 Kennington Lane,
    London SE11 5RD
    United Kingdom
    0845 1300 228

    You must not go ahead and carry out the work without consulting the above organisations as you will be committing a criminal offence and could be liable for a large fine or a custodial sentence.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites