Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q249: I have found a dog in the street, what do I do?

    The police no longer have responsibility for stray dogs.

    If you have found a healthy looking dog you should try to contact the owner. If it is safe, you should check whether the dog is wearing a tag or contact a local vet to scan the dog for a microchip.

    If you are unable to locate or find the owner you should contact your local authority and ask to speak with the local dog warden. The dog warden has a responsibility to collect all stray dogs that are found in a public place. The website outlined in Related Information will help you contact your local authority. The RSPCA will not collect healthy stray dogs unless it is in danger, sick or injured. If so, please contact the RSPCA's 24 hour a day cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites