Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q243: I have lost my mobile phone, can I report it to the police?

    In a bid to ease pressure on resources, the police are no longer able to assist with general lost and found property. Most forces in England and Wales can now only accept certain items, including:

    - Items which contain personal data (mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc)
    - Illicit items (weapons, ammunition, drugs)
    - Significant amounts of cash
    - Items of high value (such as wedding rings)

    If this facility is available, the procedure may vary from force to force however it is likely that you will need to prove that you owned the mobile phone. In some forces you may be able to report it over the telephone whilst in others you need to report in person to your local police station with a copy of the contract or box for your phone. The police need a record of the IMEI number for your mobile phone that is so it can be recognised as your phone if it is handed in or recovered.

    The IMEI/serial number on your phone is a number that is unique to your mobile phone. To find out what your IMEI number is type *#06# into your phone.

    We would also recommend that you contact your network provider to inform them the device is lost/stolen.

    Below are contact details for the main mobile phone network providers:

    3 - 03333 381 001

    O2 - 03448 090 202

    EE - 07953 966 250

    Virgin - 03456 000 789

    Vodafone - 03333 040 191

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarQuite useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question