Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q243: I have lost my mobile phone, how do I report it to the police?

    Lost and found property is not the police's responsibility, however some forces do provide a service with regards to lost and found property. You can find out if your local force offer this by telephoning their non-emergency 101 number.


    If this facility is available, the procedure may vary from force to force however it is likely that you will need to prove that you owned the mobile phone. In some forces you may be able to report it over the telephone whilst in others you need to report in person to your local police station with a copy of the contract or box for your phone. The police need a record of the IMEI number for your mobile phone that is so it can be recognised as your phone if it is handed in or recovered.

    The IMEI/serial number on your phone is a number that is unique to your mobile phone. To find out what your IMEI number is type *#06# into your phone.

    Below are contact details for the main mobile phone network providers,

    3 - 08707 330 333

    O2 - Pay & Go 08705 678 678
    Monthly 08702 410 202

    Orange - 07973 100 150 if you're on pay monthly
    07973 100 450 if you're on pay as you go

    T Mobile - 0845 412 5000

    Virgin - 0845 6000 789

    Vodafone - Pay monthly 08700 700 191
    Pay as you talk 08700 77 66 55

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question