Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q242: I have lost my benefit book, do I report it to the police?

    You should report the loss to the Department of Work and Pensions so that they are aware in case anyone tries to use your book.

    There are some unscrupulous people who spend all their benefit money and then claim to have lost their benefit book in order to get more money. This is a serious offence and if you know someone who is committing Benefit Fraud then telephone the National Benefit Fraud Helpline on 0800 854 440 between 7am and 11pm, 7 days a week.

    In a bid to ease pressure on resources, most police forces in England and Wales are no longer able to assist with general lost property. As such, we would advise that you contact the DWP in the first instance, rather than your local police.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question