Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q241: I have lost my benefit payment, who do I report it to?

    You should contact the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) who will advise if you need to report the loss to the police.

    Losing your benefit money can be very distressing. Here are some tips on how to keep your money safe:

    • get the money paid into your bank account, so that you won't have to carry around a lot of cash.
    • when you cash your giro, put the money in different places, so that if you do lose it, you won't have lost all of your money.
    • do not walk down the street counting your money after you have cashed your giro, as this is inviting theft/loss.

    There are some unscrupulous people who spend all their benefit money and then claim to have lost it in order to get more money. This is a serious offence, and if you know someone who is committing Benefit Fraud, telephone the National Benefit Fraud Helpline on 0800 854 440 between 7am and 11pm, 7 days a week.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question