Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q238: Do I need a permit from the police to sell door to door?

    If you are going to sell door to door only, you will need a pedlars certificate which is issued by the police.

    A pedlars certificate is a certificate that allows a person to sell goods (usually trinkets, household goods and other hand made objects) door to door going from place to place. The "pedlar " cannot remain in one place and sell items; a pedlar goes to their customers to sell items rather than allow customers to come to them. If you do want to remain in one place, on a street for example, you would require a street trader's licence, which you can obtain from your local council.

    You must be 17 or over to apply for a pedlars licence and must have lived for at least 28 days within the district you are applying.

    How to apply

    A pedlars certificate is obtained from the chief of police from the area where you live. You need to attend at your police station with:

    • 2 photos of you
    • a form of identity, eg a passport or driving licence
    • proof of your address
    • details of a referee

    The police need this information to check your identity and that you are of good character before issuing a certificate. The cost of the licence is currently £12.25 and lasts 1 year.

    Please note that having a pedlars certificate is in no way an indication that the goods for sale are of merchantable quality.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question