Q234: Do you have any advice about personal safety in general?
Here are some personal safety tips to follow if you are out and about:
- Always be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. Be careful when reading or listening to music as this can be distracting.
- In a busy place, try to use your mobile phone in emergencies only as it is advertising the fact that you have a phone. Whilst using your phone you are distracted, making it easier to take it from you.
- Try to avoid walking home alone late at night. If you do, choose well-lit main roads and walk confidently.
- If someone tries to take something from you, it may be better to let them take it rather than get into a confrontation and risk injury.
- If you are involved in a confrontation, reasonable force may be appropriate when used in self-defence (please see the link in Related Information for further guidance).