Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q22: I have just knocked over a cat and killed it, what should I do?

    Unfortunately, a cat does not fall within the remit of the Road Traffic Act and therefore you do not need to report the incident to the police as long as there are no other factors involved, for example:

    • Damage to another vehicle
    • Injury to another person
    • Injury to animals including cattle, mules, sheep, pigs, goat, dogs or horses
    • Damage to other property forming parts of land / adjacent to land on road in question


    It may be advisable, if possible, to make a few enquiries to find the owner of the cat so that they can be informed of the situation. If you cannot find the owner of the cat, you could take it to the nearest vets as most cats are now microchipped - the vet can scan the cat and contact the owner. Alternatively, you can contact your local council in order for them to clear away the remains.

    See the website in related information to find your local authority.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites