Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q203: What are fixed penalty tickets (in relation to driving offences)?

Fixed penalty tickets/notices (FPT /FPN) may be issued for road traffic offences, and offer an opportunity to settle an offence without the need to go through the court system. If you pay a fixed penalty ticket, all liability for the offence is discharged and the offence doesn't form part of your criminal record.

As fixed penalty notices do not fall under the definition of a 'relevant matter', they would not be automatically released on a DBS check and as such are not subject to the filtering provisions.

A recipient of a fixed penalty notice has two options, either to pay the ticket and surrender their licence where required, or request a court hearing.

There are two types of fixed penalty tickets, endorsable and non-endorsable.

  • Endorsable tickets mean that you'll get points on your licence (usually 3) and have to pay a penalty (usually £100) - note that whilst this is the penalty for the majority of tickets, there are some variations where it is more or less, not having insurance is one example.
  • A non-endorsable ticket means that you will receive a £50 fine (some are higher) but don't get any points on your licence.
  • Certain parking offences are eligible for a £30 non-endorsable ticket (£40 in Greater London).

The type of FPN you receive depends on the offence you have committed. Some offences cannot be dealt with by way of a FPN or the police officer may think that the circumstances are too serious, in either case you may be reported for summons to go to court.

A few examples of endorsable and non-endorsable tickets are:


  • speeding
  • going through a red light
  • using a mobile phone whilst driving
  • pedestrian crossing offences
  • no insurance (£300 and 6 penalty points)
  • using a mobile phone whilst driving (£200 and 6 penalty points)


  • drive a vehicle with no MOT (£100)
  • fail to comply with some traffic signs e.g. give-way sign/road markings, roundabout sign, vehicle priority sign
  • failing to wear a seatbelt
  • parking offences
Local Authority Civilian Enforcement Officers may also issue fixed penalty tickets for a range of offences e.g. parking, selling/repairing vehicles at the roadside or abandoned vehicles. If you have any issues with a ticket make sure you contact the agency who issued it, as the police have nothing to do with tickets issued by local council Civilian Enforcement Officers and vice versa.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question