Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q202: I want to complain about the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the way that they handled my case, what do I do?

    If you are a victim and you want to request a review of a CPS decision not to bring charges, discontinue proceedings or offer no evidence in a case, then you have a right to do so under the Victim's Right to Review Scheme. This is a new scheme which makes it easier for victims to seek a review of a CPS decision not to bring charges against a suspect or to terminate proceedings.

    Please note however that the scheme applies only in relation to qualifying decisions made on or after the 5th June 2013. In the first instance, you will need to contact the office where the decision was made within 7 calendar days from the date of the communication of the decision, in order to ensure a prompt review. However, the scheme can be exercised for up to three months after the communication decision.

    If you have had direct contact with the CPS and have had a negative experience, then you can make a complaint online, by email, post or telephone. The complaint can be made by you or by someone you ask to make the complaint but written permission will be needed for a representative to act on your behalf. You should make a complaint as soon as possible as CPS don't deal with complaints about things that happened more than 6 months ago.

    See the links in 'related information' for contact details and also further information on the Victim's Right to Review Scheme. There is also a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide to the website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question