Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q196: If I am a complainant in a case, am I entitled to compensation?

    It is the discretion of the court as to whether it awards compensation. If the offender is given a custodial sentence then it is unlikely that you will receive any compensation. The compensation form should be sent out to you before the court proceedings.

    If you were the victim of a violent crime then you may be eligible for compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), Freephone: 0800 358 3601. However if you have not co-operated with the police during the course of the investigation it is unlikely that you will receive any compensation from the CICA.

    For further information please see the websites in related information. There is a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube video guide to the website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites