Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q153: My neighbour is harassing me, what can I do?

For harassment to be committed, there must be a 'course of conduct' (i.e. two or more related occurrences). The behaviour does not necessarily have to be violent in nature, but would need to have caused some alarm or distress and be oppressive. The further apart the incidents are, the less likely that an offence of harassment has occurred. However, all the circumstances of the incident will be taken into account when determining whether or not an offence has been committed.

The law takes into account the "reasonable person" test. Basically this means that if it was felt that a person of reasonable firmness (i.e. the average person on the street) would not be alarmed or distressed by the behaviour, the offence is not committed. The offender must also be aware that the course of conduct they are pursuing would cause the victim to be alarmed or distressed.

  • Example: A lives at number 2 and B lives at number 4, there is a dispute over a fence. A keeps going round to B's house to complain, enters into a verbal argument and refusing to leave until B agrees to consider his request. This happens every night for a fortnight. B is fed up and has told A not to visit any more, B is feeling distressed about A's constant visits. A is aware that his behaviour will cause distress to B as he is hoping to wear him down into removing the fence.

The above is an example of the type of behaviour that could harassment without fear of violence. Harassment with fear of violence is a person whose cause of conduct causes another to fear on at least two occasions, that violence will be used against him/her and who knows that his/her behaviour will cause fear of violence on each of the occasions is guilty of an offence.

The law still takes into account the "reasonable person" test when making a decision as to whether harassment with fear of violence has occurred. If your average person would not have feared violence, the offence did not take place.

  • Example: A and B are neighbours and A is upset over a fence. A goes round to B's house every night for a week threatening violence to B and damage to the fence if B does not take the fence down. B fears violence, as A is very aggressive in manner. A is aware that his behaviour is aggressive and is hoping to intimidate B into taking the fence down.

There are two ways you can deal with the situation; through the police or the civil courts. If you decide to start civil proceedings, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau (please see the link in related information to find your nearest one) or alternatively, inform your local policing team via their non-emergency 101 number. Where there are threats of violence you should always inform the police and they will treat the matter as a high priority.

For more information please see the websites in related information. There is a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube video guide to the website.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


Web Sites