Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q134: I have been raped but I am too scared to come forward, what is the procedure and will the police take the report seriously?

    Police take all reports of sexual attacks seriously regardless of the perceived gravity of the offence.

    You will first speak to a uniformed officer who will ask you some general questions (you can ask to speak to an officer of a particular sex if that would be more comfortable for you) and then you will be taken to a specialist suite where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers. The questions that these officers ask will be more in depth.

    Do not worry if you feel embarrassed or ashamed, the officers are specially trained to help you. If you consent you will undergo a medical examination by a trained police medical examiner. An officer will be allocated to your case and will keep you regularly updated on its progress.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites