Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q127: I have got my bank statement this morning and there are some transactions on it that I have not made, what should I do?

    This could be a case of bank error, fraud or identity theft (see question Q506 for further information about identity theft).

    If you are not meticulous about security there is the possibility that;

    • Someone pretends to be you;
    • Clones your card. Be very careful when using cashpoint machines, particularly in public places. Criminals can put a realistic front on the machine which reads your card details and a video camera photographs your pin number. Always cover the pin number entry with your other hand or by some other means if you can;
    • Uses your personal details obtained by a variety of means to obtain cash or property.

    You should immediately contact your bank/credit card company to report the discrepancies and to terminate your card. The bank will have their own fraud department and may investigate the matter in conjunction with the police. Take the credit card company/bank's advice on whether they want you to report the matter to the police, as it could just be a mistake, or, they may take on that responsibility, as in some cases they are the actual victim suffering losses, as you are more than likely to receive your money back.

    Further Action:

      1. Could all of your credit/debit card(s) details have been compromised? If so, you should contact the relevant banks and the credit card companies to stop your cards, as necessary.
      2. Have you been the victim of identity theft?
        • Ensure personal and financial information is kept secure, shredded or otherwise destroyed;
        • Do NOT put such material in the dustbin or take it to the dump;
        • Beware of information on your computer being accessed.

    For more advice see related websites. Where there are also links to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide of how the website works.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites