Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q122: The noise from the pub next door is too loud what can I do?

Contact the Environmental Health Department of your local authority if this is a persistent problem. The larger departments in areas where there are persistent problems do have all night cover but this may be restricted to certain days of the week (e.g. Friday, Saturday).

All public houses and clubs are licensed by the local authority so you should complain to them about this type of problem in the first instance. If landlords take little or no notice of such complaints they could put their licence at risk.

In some areas, the police do attend at incidents such as this and can ask the landlord to turn the music down. However, the police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences so it is better to contact the local authority.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question