Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q121: There is a loud party going on next door, can the police do anything about it?

    The police may attend at incidents such as this and can ask the organisers to turn the music down. However, the police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences and it may be necessary to contact the Environmental Health Department of your local authority. The larger departments in areas where there are persistent problems do have all night cover but this may be restricted to certain days of the week (e.g. Friday, Saturday).

    You must be aware, however, that visits would occur mainly during what would be classed as anti-social hours and would not be a high priority on a Saturday night or in the middle of the afternoon. Policy on this will vary from force to force and you should contact your local force for further information.

    See the website in related information to find your local authority.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites