Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q120: Is there anything I can do about my neighbour constantly playing music/TV really loud?

In the first instance we would advise that you approach your neighbour directly in an attempt to resolve the situation. If you have already tried this, you should contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority - most have 24 hour cover so can be called at any time.

For long term problems, you may be asked to keep a diary of the noise and you may be given some equipment to record the noise.These two steps are designed to gather evidence for a prosecution, although it is likely they will give your neighbour the opportunity to turn the TV/music down without further action. The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient. The police do not have any powers to prosecute for noise nuisance.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question