Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q116: Builders have left a skip on the road, what can I do?

    All skips are registered with the local authority. If you contact the local authority they will be able to contact the company required to remove the skip.

    The permission to place the skip could have conditions attached such as,

    • the siting of the skip;
    • its dimensions;
    • the making of it being visible;
    • the care and disposal of its contents;
    • the manner in which it is to be lighted or guarded;
    • its removal at the end of the period of permission.

    There are also conditions attached to the owner of the skip who must ensure,

    • that the skip is lighted during the hours of darkness (and if it must be marked under regulations that it is in fact marked),
    • that the skip is clearly and indelibly marked with the owner's name and telephone number or address;
    • that the skip is removed as soon as practicable after it has been filled;
    • that the conditions subject to the permission being granted is complied with.

    See the websites in related information for more details, for information regarding how to hire a skip, and to find your local authority.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question