Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q110: I am in an arranged marriage and I want to leave.

    It is very important to differentiate between an arranged marriage and a forced marriage.

    An arranged marriage is agreement between both parties, entered into freely. The family of the spouses take a lead role in the arrangements of the wedding and is a practice that has worked successfully in many cultures for many years.

    A forced marriage is where one or both of the parties do not consent to the marriage and consent is extracted under duress.

    If you wish to leave a marriage that you gave consent to ( an arranged Marriage ) then you will have speak to a solicitor and make an application for divorce proceedings. If there are issues surrounding the divorce of a criminal nature they will be investigated by the Police.

    If there are other welfare issues surrounding the divorce the police will support, advise and signpost the victim to other groups and agencies that may assist with accommodation, making application for benefits, assist with immigration matters and any other welfare issues.

    For further information please see the websites in related information. There is a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide to the website.

    Useful Numbers

    UK Asian Women's Centre Tel: 0121 523 4910

    Bharosa Asian Women's Help Line Tel: 0121 303 0368

    Birmingham/Solihull Women's Aid Helpline and Refuge referrals Tel: 0800 0732606 (calls from all areas welcome)

    Women's Aide National help line Tel: 0808 2000 247

    Jyoti Ashram Housing Department for Asian women Tel: 0845 1306110

    The Forced Marriage Unit Tel: 020 7008 0151

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question