Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q109: I am frightened of my partner, he/she is violent, what can I do?

    You can report the matter to the police who have specially trained officers who can offer you help and support. You should report any assaults or acts of violence to the police so that action can be taken against your partner. Police must take positive action in reports of domestic violence.

    However, the police are aware that speaking out about domestic violence can be very frightening so they will do their utmost to ensure that they provide all the help and support you require from the initial arrest through to any possible court proceedings.

    For further help and information please see the websites in related information. There is also a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide to the website.

    Some other useful telephone numbers are -

    Womens' Aid National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247
    Refuge 0808 2000 247 (
    Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 80 10 800 (
    ManKind Initiative 01823 334 244 (
    National Centre for Domestic Violence 0800 970 2070 (

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question