Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q107: How do I become an Independent Custody Visitor at a police station and what do they do?

    Independent Custody Visitors (ICVs) were formerly known as lay visitors. To become an ICV you need to apply to your local Police and Crime Commissioner. You need to be aged over 18 and not working for the police service or in the criminal justice system or in any role where a conflict of interest may arise i.e. a solicitor. You also need a good command of the English language (all paperwork in cell areas is written in English). If you are successful you will be given the relevant training for the role. ICVs are volunteers but do get reimbursed for their expenses.

    The principal role of the ICV is to visit detained persons in police custody and speak to them about the treatment they are receiving from the police and to check that they have had all their rights and entitlements. The detained person is under no obligation to speak to ICVs, it is purely a personal choice. The ICV can also check that person's custody record with his or her permission.

    As they have a general responsibility to check the police are doing their work properly, they can do a check of all areas of the custody suite, ask questions and look at the records relating to the activities in the suite.

    For more information on the role of ICV and how to apply see related website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question