Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q101: What is 101 and when should it be used?

    101 is the non-emergency contact number for any police force in England and Wales and it is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Using this number can reduce pressure on the 999 system, allowing the police to prioritise emergency calls. You should call 101 if you want to talk to your local police officer, get crime prevention advice, or report a crime that does not need an emergency response, for example:

    • your car has been stolen
    • your property has been damaged
    • you suspect drug use or dealing
    • you want to report a minor traffic accident, or
    • you want to give the police information about crime in your area

    Alternatively, if you would prefer to contact your local police force online, please see Q727 which provides a list of all of the police forces in England and Wales and their relevant online contact forms.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question