Q963: Can learner drivers take driving lessons on a motorway?
Learner drivers can take motorway driving lessons with an approved driving instructor on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales.
In order to do this learner drivers must be:
- accompanied by an approved driving instructor
- driving a car fitted with dual controls
- the vehicle must display L-plates to the front and rear
Motorways lessons are voluntary - it will be a matter for a driving instructor to decide when the learner driver is competent enough to undertake lessons on a motorway.
It should be noted that:
- This only applies to learner drivers of cars - learner motorcyclists are not allowed on motorways.
- Trainee driving instructors are not allowed to take learner drivers on the motorway.
- Motorway driving is not currently part of the driving test.