Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q959: If I commit an offence whilst driving in the EU, can I be prosecuted by the authorities in that EU country when I return to the UK?

    Following a change to the law, the EU has implemented a system to share driver details across borders. This means that if you commit any of the offences listed below whilst driving in another EU country after 06.05.17 and the authorities in that country request your details from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) in the UK, they will have to provide them. The offences are:

    1. drink driving;
    2. driving while under the influence of drugs;
    3. failing to stop at a red traffic light;
    4. failing to use a seat belt;
    5. failing to wear a safety helmet;
    6. using a mobile telephone or any other communication device while driving;
    7. speeding;
    8. use of a forbidden lane.

    The details the DVLA will have to provide are:

    • the name and address of the person who was the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time of the alleged traffic offence;
    • the name and address of the person who was the owner of the vehicle at the time of the alleged traffic offence;
    • where that person is an individual, that person's date of birth;
    • where that person is not an individual, the legal status of that person;
    • the make and model of the vehicle;
    • the chassis number of the vehicle.

    Points to note:

    • The above only applies where the driver isn't penalised for the offence whilst still in the country.
    • The relevant country has 12 months from the date of the offence to apply for the information.
    • The fine levels will be the same as those in the country where the offence was committed.
    • Drivers who are planning on driving in EU can find out about traffic rules in other countries via the link below:

    European Commission - Transport - Road Safety - Going Abroad

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites