Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q906: Can you tell me about the different types of speed camera most commonly used in the UK?

    Gatso cameras are the most commonly used speed cameras on UK roads. They use radar technology to measure how fast a vehicle is travelling. If a vehicle is exceeding the speed limit for a given road, a camera and high powered flash take two photographs of the rear as it passes. The cameras only take rear facing photographs so the high powered flash doesn't blind drivers.

    The Truvelo camera is usually forward facing (it can be rear facing) and uses four piezo sensors embedded in the road surface at set distances to measure the speed of passing vehicles.

    SPECS cameras record a vehicle's average speed over a given distance. They are often used on motorways/dual carriageways or road works.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question