Q609: Have you got any advice for fire prevention?
Here are some general fire safety tips, more detailed advice can be found on the websites in 'Related information' at the right of this page and also from your local Fire and Rescue Service.
- Fit your house with smoke alarms and test them monthly
- Never leave candles burning unattended, only place them in heat resistant holders and keep away from material that may catch fire
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children
- Smoke outside and always make sure cigarettes are put right out
- Never leave pans unattended when cooking
- Do not overload plug sockets
- Do not leave items on continuous charge
- Unplug all non-essential electrical equipment at night
- Get your fire and boiler regularly checked
- Check all electrical equipment for signs of fraying wires
- Keep heaters well away from anything that can catch alight and never use them to dry clothes
- When you go to bed, close all doors as this helps to prevent fire and smoke spreading