Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q605: I have seen some electrically assisted pedal cycles advertised are they legal to use on the roads without insurance etc?

    An Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle (EAPC) must:

    • Have pedals that can be used to propel it.
    • Have two or more wheels – can be a tricycle or quadricycle.
    • Have an electric motor not exceeding 250 watts that can't propel the bike when it's travelling at more than 15.5mph.
    • Have plate showing the:

    - Manufacturer's name
    - Battery voltage and output of the motor

    Or, be marked with the:

    - Manufacturer's name
    - Maximum speed in mph or kph
    - Power of the motor in watts or kilowatts

    • Be fitted with a leak proof battery
    • Be fitted with a controller biased to the off position that allows power to come from the motor only when the drive is operated.
    • Be fitted with a braking system that complies with EU/UK legislation/standards.
    • Not be ridden by a person under 14.

    An EAPC that complies with the above can be ridden on the road and won't need to be taxed, registered or insured and the rider won't need a driving licence or have to wear a helmet.

    There are many electric bikes available on the internet that don't conform to the above requirements – such bikes must be taxed, registered and insured as a motor vehicle, the rider will require an appropriate driving licence and must wear a crash helmet. Additionally, the bike will have to be type or individually approved before it can be registered.

    If you want to buy an EAPC , we would suggest you go to a reputable dealer to ensure the bike complies with the law.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites