Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q599: I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft, is there anything I can do?

    There are a number of things you can do,

    • Notify all companies/organisations that you are moving, see below for a guide of who to notify.
    • Redirect your mail, see website in related information, you can register for a minimum of a month and for a maximum of 2 years.
    • Register with the Mail Preference Service, you can register your new and previous address, see website in related information.
    • If possible call round at your previous address to collect any stray mail that may have been delivered.

    Suggested list of organisations to notify on moving house,

    • telephone provider
    • mobile phone network
    • local authority
    • gas and electric companies
    • water authority
    • credit card companies
    • banks/building societies
    • GP's surgery
    • Dentist
    • Optician
    • DVLA for driving licence
    • vehicle documents, V5 etc
    • any organisation/society that you are a member of
    • TV licence
    • any guarantees that you have
    • cable/satellite TV companies
    • friends/relatives
    • employers
    • loyalty cards

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites