Q592: Have you got any tips for driving on the motorway?
- Keep to the left except when overtaking.
- Overtake on the right – see question 891 for information on when you can overtake on the left.
- Keep a safe distance behind the car in front, general advice is the 2 second rule. Watch for the car in front to pass a stationary object, then start counting, if you pass it before you have counted to two, you are too close.
- Keep to speed limits.
- Use mirrors but beware of 'blind spots'.
- Take regular breaks – at least every two hours.
- Plan your journey and make sure you know which exit you need.
- Make sure your tyres are correctly inflated, you have sufficient petrol and your windscreen wash is filled.
- Always bear in mind the possible actions of other drivers.
- Make preparations to leave the motorway in good time – don't suddenly cut into lanes.
- There is no such thing as a fast lane, the middle and offside lane are for overtaking only.
For information in relation to driving on a Smart Motorway please see the link below:
Driving at night
- Use dipped lights if there is oncoming traffic, as a full beam will dazzle other drivers
- The night vision mode on your rear view mirror will prevent you from being dazzled – see the small catch under the internal mirror that tilts it slightly.
- Reflective studs have the following meanings:
Red – mark the left edge of the road.
Amber – mark the central reservation of a dual carriageway or motorway.
White – mark the lanes or the middle of the road.
Green – mark the edge of the main carriageway at laybys and slip roads.
Green/yellow – indicate temporary adjustments to lane layouts e.g. at roadworks.
For more information, see the links in related information.