Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q588: My child is refusing to go to school, can the police make them go?

    If your child is of compulsory school age and is registered at a school and fails to attend then you as the parent are guilty of an offence. It is the duty of the parent to ensure that your child receives an education.

    If your child is refusing to go to school then the police do not have any powers to make them go. Speak to the school and they will be able to offer support and assistance.

    The police do have power to remove a child of compulsory school age from a public place and take them back to school or to some other places designated by the local authority (unless that child is home educated).

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question