Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q545: Workmen are digging up the road outside my house at an early hour. What can I do about the noise?

    As with any complaint of noise, you can report this to Environmental Services at your local authority. It may be possible to serve inconsiderate contractors with a noise abatement notice.

    See the link in related information to find your local authority.

    There are generally no legal restrictions on the times work may be carried out and sometimes it is necessary to work during unsociable hours for emergency repairs or to avoid traffic disruption.

    If you can identify who is doing the work, for example, gas, electricity or water board, you may wish to contact them directly in the first instance.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question