Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q523: There are youths that are driving up and down our street doing hand brake turns etc, can anything be done?

    The police do have a number of powers to deal with problems such as these. One of the powers that the police possess is to seize a vehicle causing alarm, distress or annoyance. The car must be being used in such a way that it commits the offence of driving without due care or driving on footpath, moorland, bridleway etc and that the vehicle is being used anti-socially (i.e. it is causing alarm, distress or annoyance). There are other requirements that the police have to carry out before a car can be seized.

    It is also an offence to use, cause or permit a motor vehicle to cause excessive noise which could have been avoided by the driver exercising reasonable care. You can report nuisance motor vehicles to your local police force via their 101 non-emergency number.

    From a practical point of view, a police officer will usually need to be present to witness the behaviour. It is advisable to contact your local police station as soon as the vehicles start to cause a nuisance.

    In many cases the drivers of the vehicles may be committing offences such a careless or dangerous driving. There may also be an number of offences in relation to the use of the vehicle and its condition.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question