Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q440: Someone has parked his or her car and it is blocking my driveway ...

    If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to so they can move it.

    In most areas local councils have now taken on responsibility for enforcing parking provisions under what is known as Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE). Under CPE it's an offence to park a vehicle so that it blocks a dropped kerb driveway. You can check if your local council has taken on CPE via the link below: -list.csv /preview

    If your council has taken on CPE, you will usually need to report vehicles that are obstructing a dropped kerb to them – you can contact them via the link below: 


    If your local council hasn't taken on CPE, you will need to contact your local police.

    The police/council policy for dealing with such matters may vary from force to another and council to another. Some police forces may only attend if your car is blocked in and you cannot get out.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites