Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q434: I have hit an animal whilst driving, do I have to report it to the police?

    Some animals are not included in the definition of 'animal' given in the legislation, so you are not required to report accidents with them to the police.

    A dog (as well as a goat, horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep and pig) are animals covered within the remit of the legislation, therefore you are required by law to report any accident with these animals to the police.

    However, if the animal you have hit is not listed above it may still be worth contacting the police to inform them of the incident. Additionally, the local authority will need to be contacted to remove the remains of the animal. Please see the website in related information to find your local authority..

    Important: Badgers are specially protected and it is an offence to possess one, dead or alive, (without the proper authority), so if you kill one, leave it at the roadside. If you are concerned, as stated above, you can voluntarily contact the police.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites