Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q383: I have been the victim of road rage what will the police do?

    There isn't a specific offence of road rage, it's a term that's been used to describe various incidents involving motor vehicles, their drivers and other road users. Road rage has been used to describe anything from verbal abuse and threats to damage being caused to vehicles and physical violence towards other drivers. Usually, road rage incidents are triggered by an incident that then results in a disagreement between drivers. Rule 147 of the Highway Code states:

    Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care.

    • you must not throw anything out of a vehicle, for example, cigarette ends, cans, paper or carrier bags. This can endanger other road users, particularly motorcyclists and cyclists
    • try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
    • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
    • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey
    • Slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them.

    Shouted/swearing/abusive gestures

    If someone has shouted, sworn or made abusive gestures to you then this could constitute a crime but it is very unlikely that a prosecution would take place because there will usually be a lack of evidence e.g. from independent witnesses. Nonetheless, if someone has made a genuine threat against you (this could be considered an assault) or if they have used abuse that you feel was targeted at you because of your race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender, you should report the matter to your local police.



    If you have been pushed, punched, kicked or received a genuine threat of violence, we would suggest you report the matter to the local police. If the incident is ongoing and you are in fear for your safety call 999.


    Damage to your vehicle/property

    If your vehicle has been deliberately damaged then this may constitute the offence of criminal damage. You should report such incidents to your local police.


    Driving offences

    A driver involved in a road rage incident may also be guilty of a motoring offence such careless driving, driving without reasonable consideration for other road users or dangerous driving.


    General information

    Please be aware that in all cases it will depend on the circumstances and available evidence as to what the police can do. In some cases the reality may be that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute someone.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question