Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q34: I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?

    You have an implied permission to enter a property to carry out your job. Q653 provides information on when a dog is considered dangerously out of control.

    If you are attacked by a dog or are in fear of being attacked whilst on the property, and the person in charge had no proper control of it then the dog could be said to be dangerous and out of control.

    You need to report the incident to the police who will carry out an investigation. The courts have the power to order that the dog is kept under proper control or destroyed.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites