Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q33: There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?

    You should report the incident to your local police. There is an offence of having a dog dangerously out of control (see Q653 for further information). The dog owner (or the person for the time being in charge of the dog) may be prosecuted and could face imprisonment and/or a fine and the courts can make a variety of orders in relation to the dog, which range from muzzling to destruction.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites