Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q134: I have been raped but I am too scared to come forward, what is the procedure and will the police take my report seriously?

    Police take all reports of sexual attacks seriously.

    You will first be spoken to by a uniformed officer who will ask you some general questions (you can ask to speak to an officer of a particular sex if that makes you feel more comfortable) and then you will be taken to a specialist suite where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers. The questions that these officers ask will be more in depth.

    Do not worry if you feel embarrassed or ashamed, the officers are specially trained to help you. With your consent you will undergo a medical examination by a trained police medical examiner. An officer will be allocated to your case and will receive regular progress updates.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites